This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These yummy little Skinny Banana Muffins have maple syrup for the sweetener and are packed full of delicious flavor. It’s like a healthier version of Banana Bread!
Skinny Banana Muffins | And Mini!
This day is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S. This day is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.
Ever since I made these muffins TWO days ago, I’ve had this song in my head. Make it stooooooop! I think this song would be better than two days of the banana song. Actually. I take that back. Richard Simmons singing his 80’s workout is painful. Hilarious…and very painful.
ANYWAYS, I’ve had the Gwen Stefani song in my head because I made skinny banana muffins. I very loosely based them off this recipe, but added in bananas and only used maple syrup as the sweetener instead of white or brown sugar. These also only call for two egg whites, olive oil, and whole wheat flour. I promised you skinny and these fit the bill! I promise they are moist, sweet, and lovely! Plus only 48 calories each with 1 gram of fat.
Diet approved 🙂 These little guys didn’t last long at our house and most likely won’t last long at yours.
Main Ingredients Needed
Every ingredient here has it’s purpose, but don’t worry they are all super simple (you probably already have everything on hand). Here’s what you need:
- Whole Wheat + All Purpose Flour – these two fill out the muffins.
- Baking Soda – this is our leavening agent and helps the muffins rise.
- Cinnamon + Nutmeg – two warm spices used for flavor.
- Salt – to balance flavors.
- Ripe Bananas – for sweetness and flavor.
- Maple Syrup – used to sweeten instead of using processed sugar. You can also use honey or agave nectar.
- Light Olive Oil – for moisture. You could also use canola or vegetable oil here.
- Egg Whites – for structure and texture.
- Vanilla – for flavor.
If you’re looking for a little more sweetness, add some mini chocolate chips into the batter before baking!
How to Make Skinny Banana Muffins
For full details on how to make these Skinny Banana Muffins, see the recipe card down below 🙂
1. Preheat + Prep
Preheat oven. Spray mini muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Make Batter
In large bowl, stir dry ingredients together until combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk maple syrup, olive oil, egg whites, and vanilla together until combined. Form a well in dry ingredients. Pour in mashed banana and wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
3. Bake + Cool
Spoon into prepared pans and bake until just cooked. Cool slightly before removing from muffin tins.
Serve warm or store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Now let me tell you these Skinny Banana Muffins are to die for all on their own however, that doesn’t mean you should serve them with something on the side. Here are some ideas:
- peanut butter
- jellies and jams
- chocolate spread
More Banana Muffins to Try!
- Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Banana Bread Muffins
- Banana Almond Butter Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin Tops (Eggless Recipe)
The printable recipe card for these babies is down below! Enjoy 🙂
Skinny Banana Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray mini muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In large bowl, stir dry ingredients together until combined.
- In separate bowl, whisk maple syrup, olive oil, egg whites and vanilla together until combined. Form a well in dry ingredients. Pour in mashed banana and wet ingredients.
- Stir until just combined. Spoon into prepared pans and bake 10 minutes or until just cooked. Cool 3-5 minutes before removing from muffin tins.
- Serve warm or store at room temperature for up to 3 days.