This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These are Orange Cupcakes. Super light and refreshing with the perfect amount of sweetness. Top with frosting and sprinkles!
Orange Cupcakes | Light and Fluffy
These Orange Cupcakes! I wanted to make something springy and fresh, but slightly different. I originally thought I’d make lemon cupcakes since I’m a lemon freak and all but opted for orange because it’s kinda-sorta out of the norm. Meaning: you all should have oranges on hand or have at least heard of oranges. If you haven’t heard of oranges before, find some and get ready to live!
Main Ingredients Needed
To make Orange Cupcakes, start by gathering these ingredients from your pantry:
For the Cupcakes
- Flour – needed for structure to hold these cupcakes together.
- Sugar – used to sweeten.
- Salt – helps to balance out and enhance the sweet flavors.
- Baking Soda + Baking Powder – used as leavening agents. I like to use both in cupcakes for extra lift.
- Milk – used for moisture and the protein in the milk gives a soft crumb texture.
- Vegetable Oil or Canola Oil – helps keep the cupcakes really moist. Canola oil can be used in place of vegetable oil.
- Vanilla Extract + Almond Extract + Orange Zest – all the zing you need for these delicious cupcakes. It’s a balance of flavors that works SO perfectly together.
- Egg – used for structure.
For the Frosting
- Butter – softened. One of the main ingredients for all frostings!
- Orange Juice + Orange Zest – These ingredients make their way into the frosting that helps tie everything together! If you love orange you’ll love these cupcakes.
- Vanilla – for flavor.
- Powdered Sugar – brings the perfect sweetness to the frosting, and helps thicken it.
How to Make Orange Cupcakes|Directions
Here are the step by step directions to make Orange Cupcakes. Scroll to the bottom to find the printable recipe card.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat oven. Line muffin tins with paper liners and set them aside.
Step 2: Combine Dry Ingredients
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Stir with a fork to combine and make a large well in the center.
Step 3: Add in Wet Ingredients
Pour in orange zest, milk, vanilla, almond extract, egg and oil into the well and stir until just combined. This cake batter tastes REALLY good….not that I ate it by the spoonful or anything…
Side note: if you want to sub butter for oil, check out the notes at the bottom of the recipe. I think the butter tastes a little better. But, I used to eat straight up butter right out of the fridge when I was 3.
Step 4: Fill Tins and Bake
Spoon into prepared tins to be 3/4 full and bake 22 minutes for regular cupcakes and 12 minutes for minis. Cool completely before frosting.
Step 5: Make Frosting
In the meantime, whip some butter and orange zest up together and take a big whiff. Mmmmm….orange. Next, add orange juice and vanilla. Slowly stir in powdered sugar until it starts to mix in. Scrape sides and whip 30 seconds until light and fluffy.
Frost cupcakes and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Can I Make Ahead and Freeze Orange Cupcakes?
Yes you can! I would recommend freezing these in a freezer safe ziplock bag or container before frosting. When ready to use, let defrost completely and add whatever frosting you want! You can freeze with the frosting on, but it will be hard to keep them pretty through the process.
Can I Use Almond Milk?
Yes, you can use almond milk in this recipe. Doing so will not change the taste or texture of the cupcakes.
Can I Use Butter As a Substitute For Oil?
Using 1/2 cup softened butter in place of 1/2 cup oil is a great and tasty option. Whip butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir in egg, zest, vanilla and almond extract. Alternate stirring in dry ingredients with milk, finishing with the dry. Scrape sides and mix again briefly. Spoon into pans and bake as usual.
More Cupcake Recipes to Try!
Anyways, I hope you all enjoy your Easter weekend full of good food like these orange cupcakes and these little nests. Have a good one, friends! 🙂
Orange Cupcakes with Orange Frosting
for the cupcakes-
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Stir with a fork to combine and make a large well in the center.
- Pour in orange zest, milk, vanilla, almond extract, egg and oil into the well and stir until just combined.
- Spoon into prepared tins to be 3/4 full and bake 22 minutes for regular cupcakes and 12 minutes for minis. Cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, whip butter, orange juice, zest, and vanilla together. Slowly stir in powdered sugar until it starts to mix in. Scrape sides and whip 30 seconds until light and fluffy. Frost cupcakes and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.