How to Make Stromboli

Do you know how to make Stromboli? Get this step-by-step tutorial on how to make this pizza-inspired appetizer!

Original recipe posted 01/13/12. I just added the video you see above!! LOVE this recipe so much.

Now, do you know what Stromboli is? I was first introduced to this magnificent appetizer when I worked as a server at Boston Pizza. They had these on the menu {along with these} and I became obsessed with them. SO yummy and one of the most popular items on the menu.

In a nutshell, stromboli is basically a pizza roll. You roll pizza dough out into a rectangle, cover with sauce, top with meat and cheese, roll up, cut in some slats, bake and serve. Super simple and totally do-able for the home cook! When you make these, people will think you’re a rock star because they are so good. Honestly, this is just a different way to eat pizza. People go nuts over this because it’s something they don’t see everyday. Pizza is just plain ol’ pizza. But stromboli! Well, you just became 16 times cooler because you served this instead of pizza at your superbowl party. Shall we make some? Otay.

Start out by spreading your pizza dough out into a rectangle on a baking sheet. I used my Fail-Proof Pizza Dough Recipe because it is in fact fail proof. And  I also used parchment paper because I didn’t want to have to clean my baking sheet after this hot mess was done baking. Lazy Mom’s unite! Feel free to use the straight up pan.

Spread pizza sauce over most of the dough, leaving a 3 inch border. I use Prego marinara because it’s waaay cheaper than a teeny tiny bottle of actual pizza sauce.How to Make Stromboli...great tutorial for this delicious pizza-inspired appetizer!

Grate some cheese please!

And sprinkle half over top of the sauce. Keep that plain, sauce-less dough alone! No touchy!How to Make Stromboli...great tutorial for this delicious pizza-inspired appetizer!

Now fish around your fridge for some meat. I used my pepperoni up without realizing it so I used salami.How to Make Stromboli...great tutorial for this delicious pizza-inspired appetizer!

Lay those slices out over the cheese.How to Make Stromboli...great tutorial for this delicious pizza-inspired appetizer!

And because you can, lay some ham over that wham bam slam…..ma’am.

Jam.

I can’t stop.How to Make Stromboli...great tutorial for this delicious pizza-inspired appetizer!

Sprinkle the last of the cheese over top of the meat and that’s the filling!How to Make Stromboli...great tutorial for this delicious pizza-inspired appetizer!

Crack an egg into a bowl and whisk it up.How to Make Stromboli...great tutorial for this delicious pizza-inspired appetizer!

Now brush that edge with it.How to Make Stromboli...great tutorial for this delicious pizza-inspired appetizer!

Fold up the two shorter sides about an inch and brush these little flaps with egg too.How to Make Stromboli...great tutorial for this delicious pizza-inspired appetizer!

Now roll that baby up as tight as you can! You want to end up with that strip of plain dough on the bottom of this whole stromboli.How to Make Stromboli...great tutorial for this delicious pizza-inspired appetizer!

Brush this fat baby with egg,

cut slats in the top, and sprinkle with cheese and parsley.How to Make Stromboli...great tutorial for this delicious pizza-inspired appetizer!

Bake this bad boy 8-10 minutes or until it looks golden and bubbly. Hello lover.How to Make Stromboli...great tutorial for this delicious pizza-inspired appetizer!

Wait a few minutes before you slice and serve. And beware of all that raging ooey gooey cheese. Right out of the oven it’s hotter than the fires of hell. So, watch yourself. Serve with extra sauce if you feel so inclined. It’s about at this time people start worshiping the ground you walk on because these are so dawg-on good. How to Make Stromboli...great tutorial for this delicious pizza-inspired appetizer!

So there you have it, folks! A perfect snack, meal or appetizer. Have a great weekend! 🙂

Stromboli

Perfect pizza-inspired appetizer, dinner or game day snack!

Yield: 4- 6 servings

Prep Time:

Cook Time:

Total Time:

Ingredients:

• 1/2 lb. pizza dough {I used my fail-proof recipe}
  • 1/2 cup pizza sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
  • 9 slices salami
  • 7 slices deli honey ham
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • dried parsley & parmesan cheese {optional}
  • extra pizza sauce for dipping {optional}

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Line large rimmed cookie sheet with parchment or spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Spread pizza dough out on baking sheet to be approximately 10x16. Spread pizza sauce over 2/3's of the dough lengthwise, leaving a 3x16 rectangle of plain dough along one of the edges. Top sauce with half the grated cheese, salami and ham. Top with remaining cheese. Brush the plain strip of dough with the egg. Fold in the sides about an inch and brush them with egg. Roll up like a jelly roll lengthwise starting along the long edge of dough topped with all the fillings and ending with the plain strip of dough on the bottom of the roll. Brush the entire stromboli with egg and gently cut slats in the top of the dough every 1-2 inches. Sprinkle parsley and cheese over top and bake 8-10 minutes or until bubbly and golden. Remove from oven, cool 5 minutes and slice into pieces. Serve with more pizza sauce.

Read more of our favorites

comments

182 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Thank you for the recipe! I made the Stromboli last night and it was gone within minutes. It looks so professional and I was very impressed with how it turned out. My guests even commented on the wonderful flavor of the dough too!

2. My husband and I made this last night and loved it! My husband’s goal is to get better at all Italian foods and this one he got really excited about as did our kids. I’ve never seen my kids eat so much in my life, lol! Thanks for the great recipe!

3. I made this tonight and it was delish. The only problem I had with it was I used the whole ball of dough (on accident), so when I baked it at 500 for 10 min it was still super doughy. I had to bake it 20 more min on a lower setting. It would’ve been easier if all 3 of my girls and my hubby wasn’t standing right in front of the oven watching it cook 🙂

4. This was awesome! I used turkey pepperoni, deli ham, and black olives. I couldn’t believe how fast it disappeared! Thanks for the recipe Lauren!

5. Can I freeze the pizza dough?

• I just wanted to thank you very much for this recipe. i had tried previously to work with yeast before and failed. Since then I have been very intimidated by it. But today I decided to tried this!! It came out so delicious and perfect. Thank you for restoring my confidence in working with dough!!

• So glad I could help, but YOU get most of the credit today! Way to go, girl 🙂

6. This looks absolutely delicious. Now all I need to do is get a cooking brush (or whatever they’re called) and a stand mixer – I already have salami and some mozzarella. :3

7. Thank you for time from this tutorial, I can’t wait to make this for my mother, a 1000 thanks and appreciations from me. 🙂

8. Hi, Lauren – I just discovered your blog by way of Maggie at “Always Add More Butter.” This looks great & I will definitely try it!

9. So, I want to make a steak and cheese stromboli. I love them, and they are wonderful dipped in a homemade ranch. Any suggestions for a not red sauce for that? Or just extra cheese?

10. I made this today, so good and so easy. I like how you flip over the edges before you roll, instead of tucking the ends under, much neater.

11. I love this site. The choice of words made me laugh. I’m going to make this for my fiance. Mainly because shes pregnant with 2 weeks to go and i do not want to anger her, and I don’t have money to go out and buy one so mise-aswell make one. Thank you though because i would of been clueless on how to make one because i’ve never made one before.

12. Wow..can not wait to make this…looks so delicious!

13. My stromboli keeps breaking out of the side

• Roll out your dough a little thicker. If that doesn’t work, you may be rolling it up too tightly. Also make sure you slightly widen your slits like you would for a fruit pie. There is a lot of steam generated and if the slits are insufficient, the pressure will create its own steam vent.

14. This is my first time on your blog; Google introduced me to you … Gotta say I have a feeling that this is the beginning of a beautiful love affair (I know. It’ll probably be one sided. I’m ok with that.).

Ima go make my family a killer Stromboli and while its in the oven I shall clear some worship area on the floor.

😉

15. Thank you for a very funny take on a delicious-looking dish! I linked to you from my weekly menu today. I know my readers will love this too!

16. Hi! I just made this today and it turned out pretty well except the dough in the inside was not cooked whatsoever. I followed the directions to a T and even used your pizza dough recipe. Any advice? Not sure what I did wrong here.

• It’s possible your oven was too hot! Try lowering your baking racks to the very middle of the oven and reducing the oven temp to 450 degrees and see if that does the trick.

17. Just made this for tea. Had to make 3 as everyone wanted s’more. Thank you very much. One happy family of 6

18. Thanks for the pictorial. I tried to make it in the past and made a mess. It really is a simple process. I also like the idea of varying the ingredients just like pizza – ham and pineapple, beef and onion, sausage and mushroom and the combos are many both meat and veg. One time saver. Many pizzerias will sell you the raw dough and its authentic being made with EVO and live yeast. You will have to roll it out fairly thin as live yeast really make it rise. Lauren thank you and Pinterest for this recipe and including the wonderful How To pics.

19. I made this tonight, but since I am not a fan of Salami I made it Hawaiian Style. I used ham and drained crushed pineapple.

• Oh I also used the refrigerated pizza dough, because I was in a hurry.

20. Just made my own boli and i did it taking a leaf from this website, The toppings I used were Pepperoni, bacon pieces and black olives, and when it came out of the oven i rubbed a lil bit of butter on it. I wasn’t sure how it would turn out, but it was pretty darn good. Thanks for sharing this 🙂

21. I am giving this a try hot mama! Thanks…hope my boys love it…Sure looks easy enough… 🙂

22. I made this tonight and it was a big hit with my family. We will be putting it in the regular rotation for sure.

23. Sounds good, but let’s be clear here….stromboli is typically made without gravy in it. Many people serve it on the side here in the US, very few make it with gravy in the actual stromboli.
    Good dish, but characterizing it as pizza AND making it with gravy is just too far off an actual stromboli. Your interpretation, and I bet it is really good, but just educate people that it isn’t authentic.
    Bill

24. I had trouble with the inside not being done in the middle of the Stromboli in with the directed cooking time, so I sliced it into big pieces and cooked a few more mins. That did the trick and it was delicious!! But any tips for the cooking problem??

25. Attending a progressive dinner and I am to bring an appetizer. A suggestion to keep it warm a it will be about 1 hr. before serving and I must transport it from my home to the appetizer stage of the progressive dinner?????

• Hmm….maybe pull it out of the oven right before you leave and then cut it once there?

26. First attempt at a stromboli, this recipe and pictures was very useful. Great side with my cheddar broccoli side. However, it came out a little runny, due to the sauce. I talked to my friend who’s an avid stromboli maker and said he’s never heard of sauce inside it and it should be served with it. Helpful recipe, i will do everything the same next time but never any sauce inside it.

27. Made this recipe to test for open-fire cooking in a Dutch oven for our TV show – it is awesome! Will have to make smaller versions to fit in a 16″ Dutch oven, but it will work just great! Thanks so much for sharing this one – it’s a keeper!

28. Hi, I made this tonight as a trial run for a xmas party. The inside dough was not cooked at all and the bottom burned. I read the suggestion to turn the oven down next time so I will try that. I also wanted to know if I can make the dough ahead of time and freeze for future use.
    Thanks

• Yes, you can make the dough ahead of time and freeze 🙂

29. Thank you. This was so easy and I can already imagine new iterations using chicken, BBQ, etc. easy, quick, delicious. Thank you, thank you, thank you. 🙂

30. This was so delicious but the middle part was not completely baked. What do I do I make sure the inside is cooked but that I don’t burn the outside?

• Try rolling your dough a little thinner and putting your stomboli in the lower half of the oven to bake.

31. I just have to say thank you for posting this recipe. I’ve made many variations of stromboli, but every recipe I’ve ever seen says you should leave an even border of dough all the way around the toppings, which always results in a doughy, uncooked center if you’re rolling it up jelly-roll-style. Keeping the toppings to one side as you suggested resulted in a perfect, evenly cooked product! 🙂

32. I love you! We have these in Brazil, with another name of course, and I have been missing them so much!!!!!! Maybe I’ll make them tonight!!!! Thank you!!!!!!

33. I know it’s going to be super tasty! It’s in the oven right now. Baked them (I made two since I used your pizza crust recipe) for 9 minutes at 500 degrees and the tops looked perfect, but when I cut into it and took a bite, all the dough inside was totally raw. Baked it another 10 minutes at 400 with foil over it and it is still doughy, so it’s back in the oven for a little longer. Getting sooo hungry!!

34. So exited to make this for our Super Bowl Party!

35. I made this yesterday and it was so delicious. Thank you for sharing…I felt like I was in a restaurant. I used bacon and ham in mine and used a whole wheat dough. Yum!

• I baked mine at 475 for 15 minutes…perfect.

36. Thanks for this. I’ve only ever seen a recipe using a baked loaf of french bread, hollow out the center soft bread, fill each side, flip together, then slice….this is much nicer! Yum, can’t wait to try it.

37. I saw your recipe yesterday and I made it today! It was stromboliscious!!! I also used the dough recipe you provided, thanks Lauren!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Meal Plan 7/9 -7/13 - [...] Friday:  Stromboli     A fun and yummy twist on traditional pizza [...]
  2. Stromboli « bakingbandit - [...] To assemble the stromboli  follow the instructions on this link: Stromboli Instructions [...]
  3. Better Late than Never French Fridays with Dorie – Peach Melba « alwaysaddmorebutter - [...] anyone?? I made this for dinner and it was amazing! I found it on Lauren’s Latest and I gotta…
  4. what’s cooking? | The Barela Family - [...] laurenslatest.com via Aubrey on [...]
  5. Stromboli « Balance and Blueberries - [...] If you don’t care to hear about the lessons I learned, then feel free to hop right on over…
  6. twist and eat – - [...] never even eaten stromboli before, but as soon as i saw this “how to make stromboli” pin I figured…
  7. Stromboli | What2Cook - [...] Recipe: Stromboli [...]
  8. Stromboli Success « Balance and Blueberries - [...] For the recipe and complete directions for your own stromboli success, head on over to Lauren’s Latest. [...]
  9. Easy Weekly Dinner Menu #18 – Variations on a Theme | The Weary Chef - [...] make a round two for pretty pictures.  If YOU want to make stromboli, hurry on over to this recipe…
  10. 21 recipes // stromboli | {amelia} writes - [...] Stromboli by Lauren’s latest [...]
  11. Better late than never– baba ghanoush and summer stromboli | VegetarianForTwo - [...] check out an amazing baba ghanoush recipe (a great car snack with pita and baby carrots!) and our stromboli…
  12. Traditional Stromboli | ErinLanders.com - [...] recipe that I found here is of a traditional Stromboli as in it is pizza-like. A calzone, [...]
  13. Stromboli AKA: pizza in a different shape | The Rookie Cook - [...] from Lauren’s Latest)1/2 lb. pizza dough (I used her no-fail dough recipe, with half whole-wheat flour)1/2 cup pizza [...]