Italian Sausage & Peppers Pasta is an easy weeknight meal for pasta lovers! This dinner is laced with peppers, broccoli, garlic, Italian Sausage and marinara for a yummy and filling meal!
I’ve been puking my guts out these last few days and all I’ve wanted to do is curl into a little ball and forget that I exist. As a matter of fact, I was so sick that I forgot to post a recipe on Wednesday. For those of you who know me, that’s a big deal. I thrive off of schedules and to-do lists. Whoopsies!
Sorry to all you die-hards that are always on the ball and consistently read my blog and use my recipes!
BUT! Here lies a super simple pasta dinner! It’s filled with veggies, Italian Sausage and a yummy tomato sauce. You could definitely make this in one pot if you had a little extra time to cook the pasta first and then the sauce, but I like to divide and conquer with a pot for my pasta and then a large skillet for my sauce.
If you read the recipe directions below, you can see how straight forward this is. Nothing too terribly hard about it! Lots of peppers, broccoli, onions and garlic cooked in a store bought marinara that is laced with extra spices for good measure.
This makes a great and easy weeknight meal for any work day.
Be sure to scroll down to the bottom and print this recipe to have on hand 🙂
Enjoy, friends! Have a great weekend!
Recipe Links & Tips
Like I mentioned above, you can make this recipe in one pot; it just has to be a big pot! (This is one of the bigger pots I have and use.) Boil the pasta first and drain. Then replace the hot pot to the stove and cook the sauce.
OR, if you’re on a time crunch, just use a pot and a big skillet. This is the skillet I have and used for this recipe, as pictured above.
If you don’t have broccoli OR peppers, you can use different veggies, based on what you have on hand. As long as you dice them small enough, they should cook no problem in the 35 minute total time. Carrots, yellow squash, zucchini or cauliflower are all great options. You’ll need about 2 cups total.
If you don’t have or want to use Italian Sausage, feel free to leave it out or use a replacement like chicken. My only caution is you’ll miss out on a bunch of the spices, flavorings and fat content found in Italian Sausage. So basically, I am not liable for you switching the recipe up. Haha!
Just as a side note, I have these pot holders and they are THE BOMB. You can sort of see them in the pictures (I have them in green.)
Italian Sausage & Peppers Pasta
An easy weeknight meal for pasta lovers! This dinner is laced with peppers, broccoli, garlic, Italian Sausage and marinara for a yummy and filling meal!
Yield: 4 adult servings
- 1 lb. pasta
- 1 lb. Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets (optional)
- Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta until al dente and drain. Set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, break apart Italian Sausage in large skillet over medium heat. Add in onion and garlic. Stir. Once Sausage is completely browned, add in bell peppers. Cook another 2 minute to soften slightly.
- Pour in marinara sauce, water and spices. Add in broccoli, if desired. Stir and simmer covered for about 10 minutes, OR until broccoli is cooked to your liking.
- Toss with cooked pasta and top with parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.